Saturday, July 25, 2009

Have I missed the opportunity?


I finally watched Evan Almighty a few days ago. The movie wasn't one I would call a "must see", but I had nothing else to do, and it was on HBO. Something "God" (or Morgan Freeman, as I like to call him) said to Evan kinda struck home with me.

"When people pray for patience, do you think God grants them patience? Or opportunities to be patient? When people pray for courage, do you think God grants them courage? Or opportunities to be courageous? When people pray to grow closer to their family do you think God sends along warm, fuzzy feelings? Or the opportunity to spend more time with family?"

Maybe all those times I've prayed for love and happiness, God has given me the OPPORTUNITIES to love and make myself happy. And maybe, just maybe, I haven't seized those opportunities. Maybe love doesn't always come in making a ruckus with flashing lights and signs directing us toward it. Maybe sometimes love tests us before we realize it has even entered our doors, and maybe we just fail those tests. I mean, love does require patience and courage. Maybe I have neither.

9 comments:

Hue Reviews said...

hhhmmm..that is definitely something to think about.

Therapeutic Ramblings said...

I thought about this the other day when I was going over my last bunch of dating misadventures. Any decent girl I got bored with and bailed, and any crazyflakes I seemed to put up with. I definitely left some relational carnage for fear of compromise, but maybe that is what a relationship ends up being?

Alexa F. said...

I believe that we are given opportunities to be what we pray for. I think above all, being self-aware will allow you to be more open.

lisaq said...

I think you've definitely hit on something here. We are given the opportunities and then we have to take inspired action to make things happen in our lives. Things we want and/or pray for don't just show up in a neatly wrapped package on our doorsteps. We have to make them happen. Cut yourself a little slack though girl. Life is a learning process and, now that you know to watch for opportunities, patience and courage will follow.

me said...

yep...got some bad news fer ya...just cause you pray for something good doesnt mean that it will happen. Period.

SaneAndSingle said...

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

f1trey- Always the little ray of sunshine, aren't ya? LOL As I'm not extremely religious, it isn't so much about prayer that I was thinking. It was more about how I react to situations when they are difficult.

me said...

LOL my bad! I stand corrected! I understand....really I should have offered some helpful words on the back end....sometimes I leave it short and wrongfully think people think like i do so I leave something out.......lesson learned.

jo said...

i think that there is a lotta truth in that. i only hope that when the opportunities do arise, we realise it and seize 'em. but maybe sometimes i think that if you don't learn your lesson the first time round, it kinda just keeps coming back till you finally get it...

Roxy said...

It's totally true and you have both. Just gotta remember to relax and not put any pressure on yourself.